VS2008 Test Views not working

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 11, 2008 at 6:35 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2008 at 12:01 AM
I open my solution in VS2008. Tests show properly in the Test Views window. I hit the refresh and then it flashes my tests briefly, then says 'Currently no tests are available to display in Test View.'. Appears to work fine when starting VS2008 but the refresh button does not appear to be working as expected.

I was wondering how you debug these addins. I can get the latest code and attempt to debug. My thought would be to run 2 copies of VS.NET, one with the addin solution added and attach the debugger to the second where I have loaded my solution. Please advise if this is the correct method.
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2008 at 3:01 PM

pbolduc wrote:
I open my solution in VS2008. Tests show properly in the Test Views window. I hit the refresh and then it flashes my tests briefly, then says 'Currently no tests are available to display in Test View.'. Appears to work fine when starting VS2008 but the refresh button does not appear to be working as expected.

I was wondering how you debug these addins. I can get the latest code and attempt to debug. My thought would be to run 2 copies of VS.NET, one with the addin solution added and attach the debugger to the second where I have loaded my solution. Please advise if this is the correct method.

Please create a new Bug entry in Issue tracker.

Yes this is correct. You have one VS for development and the second one for testing. Use following workflow: after editing and compiling some code in VS.1 use undeploy.bat to remove addin. Then start deploy.bat to install an updated addin. Now you can hit F5, it will start VS.2 where you can load your Test project and test addin.
Mar 27, 2008 at 10:56 PM
Edited Mar 27, 2008 at 10:56 PM
I spent a little time on the weekend trying to debug into the code. However, it appears all the methods in your code appear to be working properly. The first time and all subsequent times, the methods get called and the results are the same. For some reason on the refresh, the Visual Studio code must be doing something different. I am not familiar enough with the Visual Studio APIs to know what is going wrong. For now I am going to leave this project alone and go back to the nunit gui to run my test. Hopefully you can resolve the issue and make it more usable in the future.

nesher wrote:

pbolduc wrote:

Please create a new Bug entry in Issue tracker.

Yes this is correct. You have one VS for development and the second one for testing. Use following workflow: after editing and compiling some code in VS.1 use undeploy.bat to remove addin. Then start deploy.bat to install an updated addin. Now you can hit F5, it will start VS.2 where you can load your Test project and test addin.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:42 AM
I have VS 2008, and test initially shows up fine.

However, I renamed the test to something new, and added another test, and the Test View is
still only showing the old test (before the renaming)
Pressing refresh does not resolve this issue. (although the test briefly appear, and then dissappear again)
renaming the .nunit file to .cs and then back to .nunit still loads the test by it's old name (before the rename)

Work-arounds:
- Build Test Project and Restart Visual Studio